Our cell phones have become indispensable tools, always at our sides. With our focus on the management of reusable containers, and with this powerful technology readily available to so many, Wave Reaction’s WAVE reusables mobile app was developed to capture many of the same shipping and receiving transactions that are typically performed by a handheld scanner.
The WAVE reusables mobile app isn’t intended to replace a handheld scanner – after all, scanners are engineered specifically to scan many items very quickly. The smartphone should be used in addition to scanners, as a supplement to your existing infrastructure. Both devices have their share of advantages and strengths.
- An app-enabled phone is perfect to scan low-volume shipments, freeing up scanners to recharge or be used for larger jobs.
- Most smartphones are small, convenient, and fit in your pocket; scanners can be bulky, and are significantly pricier.
- While the smartphone app can capture barcodes in quick succession, it’s ultimately a phone with an app, and isn’t robust enough to handle the large volume of scanning typically encountered in an enterprise shipping environment.
- Scanners are capable of performing large volumes of scanning in a single session, with long battery life and built-in barcode readers. Some models even come equipped with RFID sensors.
- As one might expect from hardware designed with rapidly capturing barcode information quickly, using a handheld scanner is easy to learn and quick to master.
- While scanners are good at what they do, it’s essentially all they can do; they often require extensive integration work to allow them to communicate with outside software.
Scanners and smartphones are both great tools for data collection. We know that at present, a smartphone can’t replace a scanner outright. But acting as a supplemental device, to allow for flexibility in your work flow and as a “quick fix” when speed is more important than volume, a smartphone enabled with the WAVE reusables app can be a powerful new tool to help get the job done.